After five years as commanding officer and fifteen years as an officer in the corps, Lt. Cdr. T.W. Baird relinquished his command to acting Lt. Cdr. J.D. Killey.
Commander Baird, who was resigning from the corps to take up active service with the navy, was presented with many presents at a ceremony aboard the newly opened H.M.C.S. Chippawa on Smith St. Among those making presentations was Mrs. A.J. Hughes, president of the ladies' auxiliary of the Navy League. Mrs. Hughes thanked the retiring commanding officer for the splendid work the unit had done under his command.
Commander Baird spoke of his association with with the boys of the corps and hoped they would carry on still more successfully in the future. He was given three cheers by the ships company as a parting farewell.
Acting Lt. Cdr. J.D. Killey, who had been associated with the Winnipeg sea cadets for over a year, took over the responsibility for the corps at a time of great change and expansion. With the consent of His Royal Highness, King George IV, the prefix "Royal Canadian" was added to all sea cadet corps in Canada. Thereafter, the Winnipeg Sea Cadets became known as Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Corps John Travers Cornwell V.C. The name of John Travers used in reference to the Winnipeg unit since 1926 at last became official.
As an indication of the increased interest shown in sea cadets by the Royal Canadian Navy, a sea cadet officers course was held aboard H.M.C.S. Chippawa in March for 45 officers from across western Canada. The course included instructional techniques, seamanship, rifle and squad drill and naval organization.
Supervision of the course was under Lt. C.D. Mackintosh, acting in command of H.M.C.S. Chippawa, and Lt. A.D. Rayburn, training officer.
The course was arranged with the co-operation of the Navy League of Canada and R.C.N.V.R. officials to bring naval training methods to the sea cadet corps. At that time plans were underway to increase cadet corps strength in Canada to 15,000. Officers from Winnipeg taking the course were: Acting Lt. Cdr. J.D. Killey, Warrant Officer R.T. Grogan, Pay Lt. W.E. Fawcett, Lt. F. Mack, Lt. R.E. Jefferson, Warrant Officer W. Goshawk, Lt. W.J. Marshall, Lt. W.E. Cameron, Pay Lt. W.L. Penman, Pay Lt. A.J. Williamson and Lt. T. Wetton. Others included in the course were from Brandon, Regina, Moose Jaw, Saskatoon, Prince Albert and Port Arthur.
R.C.S.C.C. John Travers Cornwell V.C. continued its tradition of annual concerts in 1943. On June 2nd and 3rd the corps appeared before an audience of 3,000 at the Civic Auditorium. Production was handled by Stanley N. Jones and Harold A. Smith while the direction was in the capable hands of Mr. George Secord. Included in the evening's entertainment was club swinging, dancing, chorus singing, instrumental solos and of course, several selections played by the brass and bugle bands.
Musical training was extended into No. 3 ships company through the generosity of Hon. Capt. H.E. Sellers, R.C.N.V.R., who presented the instruments for a 24 man bugle band. With this gift R.C.S.C.C. John Travers Cornwell V.C. had three musical units - a brass band of 50 pieces attached to No. 1 Ship's Company and two 24 man bugle bands in No. 2 and No. 3 Ship's Company.
Late in the fall of 1943 the corps enrollment was increased to 900 cadets with the addition of another ships company. No. 4 Ship's Company was to parade at Isaac Newton School while No. 3 Ship's Company changed locations from Machray School to St. John High School.
The commanding officers of the individual ships companies, though under the jurisdiction of Lt. Cdr. Killey; were No. 2 Ship's Company - Lt. W.J. Marshall; No. 3 Ship's Company - Lt. C.W. Andrew; No. 4 Ship's Company - Lt. W.J. Gresham; and No. 1 Ship's Company - Lt. L. Pateman who had taken over from Lt. T. Wetton earlier in the year.
The photographs for 1943 were provided by Mrs. J.D. Killey and Mr. T. Wetton of Winnipeg as well as Mr. T.W. Baird of Grande Marais, Manitoba.
|© Cornwell (Winnipeg) Branch - The Navy League of Canada||Site Map|